Children & Youth Caseworkers provide education and support to children & youth who have witnessed and/or experienced abuse.
Topics discussed include:
- abuse/types of violence
- safety planning
- self esteem
- healthy friendships/relationships
- family change (separation/divorce)
- problem solving
- assertiveness skills
- court preparation/support (if needed)
Children/Youth who witness abuse may believe...
- Violence is an effective way to solve problems
- They are responsible for the abuse witnessed at home
- It is OK to hurt someone if you are feeling angry or upset
- Inequality in relationships is normal - men have power and control over women
- There are few, if any negative consequences for abusive acts
- They are responsible for stopping the abuse by "protecting" or "confronting" the abuser
Both girls and boys of all ages are affected by witnessing abuse.
Groups such as Healthy Relationships can be offered to both children & youth upon request. Presentations may also be scheduled to meet the school's needs: abuse, effective communication and more. Contact us to book today.